Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursday
May 17, 2012
The new poetry site seems to be a washout. Is there not a site on the internet where there are serious, knowledgeable poets who are interested in poetry and discussion? I need to find some real artists, people who get what it is we're doing.  AND here's a new poem.















































My Father’s Day

Sometimes I think about my father.
He was a man. A 40s style man. Big hands,
rough and scaly from working. Crippled
hands broken in three or more places,
scarred and battered from pool hall
brawling.

He was a tough man, a drinking man.
Hamm’s Beer in a can never in a bottle
or a glass. Whiskey, sometimes, straight
out of a silver flask that he always carried
in the back pocket of his black overalls.

Just a kid, he was, during WWII. Enlisted
at sixteen, a Gunner’s Mate in the South
Pacific. Just a kid in the middle of a very
big war.

In ’42 The Wasp, my father’s ship, was
blasted by three enemy torpedoes
dumping my dad and all his buddies
into the cold Pacific. They treaded
water three days waiting for a ship
to come by and fish them out.

My father was a mean man, a fighting man.
No weapons other than two fists full of callused
knuckles, a firecracker temper, and a hateful need
to see the world beaten to death.

Gentleness was a trait my father never indulged in.
It was weakness to him. Too many buddies
he’d seen die, too many friends in civilian life
dead because... well, because they were just too
soft to survive this life.

And I don’t remember a single kindness from
my father. Not to me, my brother or my sister.
Never understood why but he seemed to hate us.
Hated us even more than he hated that submarine
that blew the Wasp out of the water back in ‘42
and left him swimming with the dead, the dying
and an ocean full of hungry sharks.
                                                                             rrw o5-16-12

1 comment:

  1. excellent. one's sentiments about one's dad, father then. and a wwii vet. and a man who never expressed the required love for the kids. that truth is too naked though. my father loved us. he was a wwii vet too. and he beated us to discipline us. the naked madness of love then. it's an imprint that must and should be there i would hope.

    ReplyDelete