Sunday, May 13, 2012

Monday
May 14, 2012
Okay, this is getting a tad silly. Another poem based on an intro to a poem. But it was Mother's Day and I needed to come up with something... and here it is:


Mother’s Day

Sundays were always a lazy day
around our house. Dad would lie
on the couch drinking beer, watching
the Figure Eight races on TV, nodding
off every now and then. A single snore
from his open mouth would wake
him with a start. He’d take another
sip of beer, wipe his eyes and fall
right back to sleep without even
noticing that car 56 had just been
rammed into oblivion by a Plymouth Fury.

Mom busied herself in the kitchen. Doing what?
I don't know.  Motherly things, I suppose.
It seems she was always scurrying about
all day long from the kitchen sink to the
refrigerator. Always looking for something
but never finding whatever it was she kept
looking for.

Me and Brother Dennis would sit on
the back-porch listening to Mother
banging around in the kitchen and
mumbling to herself.

We never talked my brother and me.
We just sat digging into the dirt with
the heels of our tennis shoes quietly
dreading school on Monday. We hated
school almost as much as we hated each other.

And my sister? She moved out long ago
to our Aunt Ella and Uncle Ace's ranch  
in the high desert. I never knew exactly
what she was doing up there so far away
from her family, her real family. I never
understood my sister or her moods.

Come to think of it, I never understood
any of the women in my life. It’s
probably the reason why I live alone.

Anyways, it’s Sunday, Mother’s Day. As I write
this poem I wonder what my mother’s doing.
Probably walking to the refrigerator, finally
remembering what it was she was looking for
all those many years ago.
                                                         rrw o5-13-12




No comments:

Post a Comment